Not all lessons are positive. In fact, it has been said that you learn more from mistakes than from successes. So, while David Arquette and Courteney Cox’s dissolution provides an exemplary model of the ideal uncontested amicable divorce, we might actually learn more from Dwyane Wade and his ex-wife, Siovaughn Funches-Wade.
The most recent mistake, made by Siovaughn, landed her behind bars. According to the Chicago Sun-Times, she was supposed to hand the children over to Dwayne’s sister so that they could hop on a plane for Father’s Day and Game 3 of the NBA Finals. Instead, Siovaughn refused to answer her phone or release the children. The police were then summoned.
She’s now facing charges for attempted abduction, unlawful visitation interference, and resisting arrest. Two days later, Dwyane filed an emergency motion to suspend Siovaughn’s visitation rights. This was allegedly the second time “an occurrence” happened on Father’s Day.
The unusually-bitter divorce has been marked by unfortunate mistakes, including:
- The contentious, rather than cooperative, approach to the divorce and child custody;
- Siovaughn’s no-show to a hearing, which landed her in jail;
- Siovaughn getting dumped by at least eight family law attorneys;
Parties often get bitter and contentious during divorce. After all, if they were BFFs, they probably wouldn’t be getting divorced in the first place. However, bitter, drawn-out, and contentious divorces not only strain the parties’ financial resources, they also hurt the children.
This is especially true when the children see their mother taken away in handcuffs.
- Discuss Your Case With a Chicago Family Law Attorney (FindLaw)
- Amid Title Run, Wade Again Caught In Custody Battle With Ex-Wife (CBS Chicago)
- Miami Heat Star Dwyane Wade Gets Sole Custody of Sons (Chicago Family Law Blog)
- Child Custody and Visitation (FindLaw’s Learn About the Law)